The original church in Anninata was destroyed by the earthquake of 1953 and restored in 1954 unfortunately it was destroyed again by a big fire in 1986.
In recent years, the doctor Panagis Metaxas Mariatos made the decision to restore the church at his own expense and so this church reopened.
The architect designed the church to imitate the shape of the mountain of Ai Lia (Agios Ilias) which is opposite the church.
We believe that the murals inside the church are by a priest whom visits now and again to continue painting his wonderful frescoes.
There is more written about this church in an article by Kefalonia Press.